- Do you work with people who hear voices and who struggle with that?
- Do you have someone in your life who hears voices and struggles and feel limited in your ability to understand and support them?
- Have you come to realise just how we are limited by the story that voices must mean illness ? not only the lives of people who hear voices but all of us
- Are you weary of the notion that we must fear ourselves and fear each other ?
- Are you curious to learn more and are you asking “what else can I do?”
If so then this workshop might help you tilt your universe and emancipate yourself with new very simple and human ways to understand and begin to act.
Our aim is that you can feel more confident in your ability to offer yourself as a one person safe space to people who hear voices and struggle.
If you have attended this workshop then you may be ready for the next step –
Working With Voices.
Join us in enacting a world that understands voice hearing, supports the needs of people who hear voices and regards them as full citizens.
Registration is required
- Limited spaces.
- Registration is available now, online at Eventbrite
To register now…
- either click the red button
- or click on, or copy/paste the link below…
Early Bird $125 – limited number available until 30th June.
See below for full Workshop Description
This unique and innovative workshop offers you a non-diagnostic understanding of the kinds of experience like hearing voices that are that are sometimes called “psychosis”.
We offer you simple, everyday language to show you how you can understand such experiences not as “disconnected from” but intimately connected with reality and in ways that can be overwhelming, painful, frustrating, sometimes terrifying response to the reality we share,
It also offers a framework you can use to connect and draw from your own experiences to help you truly empathize and understand how better to support people who might be undergoing such difficult experiences.
You’ll leave feeling more at ease with both yourself and your ability to offer yourself as a one-person safe-space to people who struggle.
Join us in enacting a society that understands voice hearing, supports individuals who hear voices and views them as full citizens. .
What you can expect and connect yourself with a community of people doing just that.
This workshop will enable you better to …
- Understand hearing voices [and other experiences] as a normal human experience, that can become problematic, when a person is left to struggle without support..
- Share simple data and stories about just how common it is to hear voices- how it is not in itself a problem and many people do – some cultures regard it as bringing great benefit.
- Peer through and beyond diagnostic frameworks – resist the urge to catalogue and categorize everything you witness as “symptom”.and instead,
- take an interest in the person struggling with their experience of voices and other experiences called “psychosis” as a human being having a hard time..
- Begin to accept even the most difficult of human experiences as something that can be understood, explored and even valued.
- Look within your own experience and relate with different experiences like hearing voices, visions, unshared beliefs.
- Explore how you can be at ease in your role and be more real with people who have difficult experiences .
- Offer yourself as a one-person safe-space to people who struggle with experiences like hearing voices.
Who this workshop is designed for…
We believe the hearing voices approach is emancipatory for all.
If, in your work, you work with you come into contact with people who hear voices and who struggle with that; and you have experienced how that can leave you feeling uncomfortable or worse, then we think you’ll find this one day workshop useful.
– So, if you’re a doctor, nurse, social worker, community worker, housing worker, peer support worker, psychologist, therapist, police officer, etc. then it may be for you.
The workshop is also highly suitable for you if you love, live with, care for people in your life who hear voices and struggle with that – and you have come to realise the limitations of an approach that limits understanding to illness-brain chemicals and you are curious about how else you may understand, and what else you can do..
It is less suitable, perhaps, for those who are simply curious, though you are welcome.
This is an intensive workshop covering a lot of ground , together we will :
- Gain insights from people who hear voices, and from others who work with people who hear voices.
- Learn how we can think differently about voices and other experiences that are sometimes labelled “psychosis”
- Explore how, as workers, we can accept ourselves and each other, relax and enjoy our work: the better to offer support for people who hear voices.
- Interact – with deep personal reflection, shared sense-making and dialogue.
- We will also share some simple, practical approaches that you can use in your practice on return to work.
- Connect with resources and both local network and the global hearing voices community.
This workshop is designed to leave you feeling more competent and confident in your own ability to offer yourself as a one person safespace for people who hear voices.
You will not become an expert in one day but you’ll have a good basis for starting and feeling more comfortable – and more human – as you do.
Please feel free to help us let people know about this by print, post, distribute, …or why not hand to your worker colleague o boss, and ask… “when are you going to do this training?”
Click on the image to the right or the link below to the poster pdf .